Delaware Hispanic Commission accomplishments since its inception in 2013:
- 1. Establish six Subcommittee’s to meet the needs of the community: Each subcommittee is chaired by a committee member and focuses on a particular area: Education, Health, Economic and Workforce Development, Housing, Transportation and Community and Social Justice.
- 2. Developed and implemented a bilingual six - week/three- hours (per session) statewide pilot program on “How to Do business in DE”. 70 participants graduated and continue to work with our existing business partners.
- 3. Program is being adopted and run by First State Community Loan fund.
- 4. Funding for a FT program Coordinator has been acquired. Ms. Lola Campos has been hired to direct this effort within the Hispanic Community.
- 5. U.S. Small Business Administration now has a Spanish website for aspiring entrepreneurs.
- 6. Latino Open for Business in Sussex County is scheduled to begin in September 2015, in Georgetown, DE at 6pm.
- 7. Senate Bill 59 Delaware Driving Privilege Card passed into law and was signed by Governor Jack Markell on June 23, 2015.
- 8. Thru the Commissions efforts, additional bus service routes & stops were acquired in Sussex County.
- 9. DMV now offers the Driving Manual in Spanish.
- 10. Delaware Housing Authority now has a Spanish Website.
- 11. First Annual Latino Summit was held at DTCC with over 300 Latinos and non-Latino attending.
- 12. A Public Policy Agenda has been developed – attached is a summary of the full report.
- 13. Thanks to the support of Department of State, the Commission has its own website… www.hispanic.delaware.gov.
- 14. Acquired two AmeriCorps Vista’s to assist with outreach and delivery of services to the fastest growing population in Delaware.
- 15. Hispanic Heritage events were held for the past two years.
- Third Annual Latino Summit is schedule for November 3, 2016 at the Delaware Technical Community College-Owens Campus, Georgetown, Delaware. Theme – Connecting through Civic Engagement for a Brighter Future. To register for the event visit www.hispanic.delaware.gov
- Driving Privilege Card began January 2016. For more information visit http://www.hispanic.delaware.gov
- 2016 Hispanic Heritage Month is October 15, 2016 at the Milton Public Library, 121 Union Street, Milton, Delaware 19968 from 12:00 Noon to 4:00 P.M. for more information call 302-684-8856. Organized by the Delaware Hispanic Commission and the friends of Milton Library. Sponsored by the Arsht-Cannon Fund.